Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Evolution of Consumables

The post of Skopje, Macedonia is a consumables post.  I don't know how it's figured out, but we are given an allotment of 2500 pounds of consumable goods to ship with us.  We bought and bought and bought stuff from Costco (hurray for coupons!), Target, Giant, and Shoppers.  Everything from canned corn to enchilada sauce to paper cups and laundry detergent.  It's not that most of this stuff isn't available here - it's that what is available is not the same quality.  We discovered after moving here that certain items were silly to bring (did I really think I couldn't get spaghetti noodles here?), while others are impossible to find (so glad I bought green chilies), and some things I forgot completely (no black beans?) and will have to include in our next shipment.  Our children laughingly refer to the basement as Target.  I love Skopje, and am very happy that the canned vegetables I brought will only have to be used during the winter months when fresh will be hard to find.

Can you believe we got all this stuff from our car in the garage to our second floor apartment?  It was a parade of Costco purchases in the lobby.

We decided we needed the consumable separate from the HHE (household effects) to make it easier for the movers. 

More organized consumables.  It was fun living with this all around us for a couple weeks!  I'm just glad we didn't get reported to the Fire Marshal!

Getting packed up!

All the TP and paper towels were wrapped in brown paper.

Looking good!!!  See you in Skopje!

 After almost 2 months away from us, we received our shipment, and the fun REALLY began!

Put together the shelves from Costco in the pantry.  Waiting for the food!

The food that got unloaded in the dining room, waiting to be sorted.

More food in the basement - most ended up back upstairs.

The pantry is packed!

Organized in the laundry room!

The storage room, a.k.a. Target!


No comments: