Sunday, January 1, 2012

Goodbye 2011, Hello 2012!

It's hard to believe that another year is gone, and that we spent it in one place - well, for the most part.  I have truly come to love Macedonia, and the locals think I'm crazy when I tell them so.  There are plenty of things that drive me crazy, but this is a really wonderful corner of the world.  The people are welcoming and humble.  I feel safe everywhere I go, and regularly have my 13 year old take a taxi places by herself.  Food is so affordable here, and FRESH!!!  I love going to the green markets to purchase produce and eggs - seriously the tastiest ever!  The international community is huge here, and I have loved getting involved.  The International Women's Association of Skopje is able to work with some amazing charities, and the people that run them are inspirational.  What they are able to accomplish with so little has had me look at my own life and see what more I can do.  One of the most incredible experiences in this past year has been seeing the church gain legal recognition.  The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints was registered in the courts recently, and Macedonia will soon have full time missionaries.  It has been an incredible journey from the dedication of the country in September 2010 by Elder Nelson to now.  There is a lot in store for this little country, and I wish that I could be here when it all happens.

Macedonia is very small, and has some great neighbors.  We are lucky that we have been able to visit some of the countries around us - Greece, Bulgaria, Turkey.  I wish that we had more time and money to see more, but such is life.  For the most part we've seen what we wanted to.  Aubree and I were even able to see places that we never thought of, and realize how much we take the freedom we have for granted.  We'll have a few more opportunities to get out and see more, too.

It's going to very hard to leave Skopje, but this year we'll see another move.  This time to Houston, Texas.  We're really excited for the change, and the chance it will give us to live close to family again.  But after living so close to so many countries that are just a few hours drive away, it will be an adjustment to drive 2 days to get to family.  Aubree will have an opportunity to go to real seminary, and attend Girls' Camp with our own ward.  Aubree will continue to fence, and we'll have the chance as a family to golf on real courses - not just hitting buckets of balls in our backyard.  Chris really wants to play football, and in Texas I'm pretty sure it's sacrilegious not to.  The boys will keep taking karate, but I'm not looking forward to the price of all these activities.  We currently pay 1000 denar a month for Aubree to do fencing 3 days a week for a couple hours.  That's just over $20.  It's 1200 denar a month for each of the boys to take karate, up to 4 times a week.  Golfing right now is free.  Sigh.  It will definitely be back to reality for us.  All in all, I am looking forward to what is in store for us.  After all, what is the point of dwelling in the past?  I know that the Lord has a plan for us, no matter where we are.  It's up to us to make the best of what we have.

The best and most difficult part of living in the Foreign Service is making so many amazing friends, knowing that we'll have to say goodbye in a year or two.  Yes, there is Skype and Facebook, but how easy is it to keep up with people when they are 8 or more time zones away?  It doesn't really take the place of being able to text back and forth, or pop over when I want to chat.  And yet, I know certain people will be my friends forever.  And I am grateful there is Skype and Facebook and Vonage to still keep in touch.

The first day of 2012 has been memorable - we had an awesome church service where the very first missionary called in Macedonia (an American, but still) was able to share his testimony and love of the Gospel.  He will be entering the Provo MTC in a couple weeks, then return to serve the people of Albania.  He and his family are incredible, and we have been blessed to get to know them.  We will certainly miss them and the rest of our little group.

I'm not making any resolutions this year.  Well, not really.  I made a promise to myself last year that I would be happy with the person I am, and I'm going to continue to do that.  I have a wonderful life, so who am I to complain?  I try to change what I can if I am unhappy, but have learned to accept things which are not in my control.

I hope that each and every one of you has happiness in your life this year.  Oh, and if you ever get out to Houston after August, look us up!

3 comments:

Becky said...

Good luck with all the coming changes! I hope you have a fantastic new year. It sounds like 2011 was a great year.

Laughter No Surname said...

I'm not visiting you in Houston. How about Macedonia in the springtime instead?

Jeanae and Mike said...

Macedonia in the springtime sounds marvelous!