Wednesday, April 14, 2010

THE LAW!!!

Did you know that it is illegal to talk on your cell phone while driving in DC? Well, apparently it is. The official law is "driving without a hands-free device" and the fine is $100. How did I gain this amazing knowledge? Why, first-hand! I was driving in DC for the very first time over Spring Break to meet some friends at Rock Creek Park. As I was SLOWLY and finally passing the zoo (and talking on the phone, because I wanted to get an idea how much longer it would take for me to get there), an officer jumped in front of my car, then banged on it. I had no idea why, because I had a green light. As I drove slowly on, I could see him gesturing to someone, and sure enough, a car pulls out with lights on, so I pull over. Imagine my surprise to learn that it was against the law! The officer that pulled me over was very nice, but the guy that jumped in front of me was SO offended by what I did, he walked the entire block to where I was pulled over to tell me. We did some research, and I bought a hands-free device and sent in my receipt with an explanation. Hopefully they will dismiss it since it's a first offense. Let this be a lesson to all of you!

2 comments:

Laughter No Surname said...

I thought that was the law everywhere.

Jeanae and Mike said...

I think it's more common sense everywhere, and nobody's ever accused me of having too much of that!