Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Relay for Life

Aubree participated in the Relay for Life on Saturday night. As I dropped her off at 5, it started raining. Luckily, they had forgotten to do my mom's luminarias, so Aubree was able to do them and set them out later, so they weren't all soggy. I headed over with the boys around 8 and we walked a mile before the luminaria ceremony. They had a mother of a 4 year old with cancer speak, then a 15 year old girl that has had cancer 3 times. Their stories were incredible, then they led us on a walk around the track with just the luminarias lit. I told the kids that as we walked silently, it would be a good time to think of Grammie and remember all the good memories. We had walked almost a quarter of the loop when Chris and I started crying. It was so powerful to walk with so many people whose lives had also been touched by cancer. I'm so glad that we got to participate in such an incredible event. I hope that we'll be able to do it again.

Anyway, back to Aubree. Her team raised $1126.72! They had lots of fun walking and playing in the rain. Her friend turned 12 at 12:06 a.m., so we allowed Aubree to stay for cake before we picked her up. She slept in until 11:30 on Sunday! Thank goodness for late church! Since it was raining (and because I didn't remember), I didn't have my good camera. So, all the pictures are taken with my phone.




2 comments:

Beadles said...

I had hadn't thought about the fact that Audrey will probably be involved in things like this in the future. Hopefully she won't be able to match the 15 year old in her talk. She has been changed by this experience, despite her young age. I believe she will be involved in the medical profession in some way when she is older.

Just US said...

Great job Aubrey!!!! You are an awesome young woman who is setting a great example!!