Friday, September 23, 2011
Yummy Food!!!
Did you know I contribute to a food blog? Well, now you do. My little sister started it as a way to have my mom's recipes in one place. I love being able to easily find a recipe, instead of calling around to figure out who has what. It's also a fun way to find new recipes that my sisters have tried. I've been collecting new recipes as I am now more "domestic". It's not easy to find ready-made things here, and I have to get creative when it comes to some ingredients. I have learned that I enjoy cooking, especially when I have all the right tools. It is very easy to cook fresh here (when things are in season), because all the fresh produce is AMAZING!!! Aubree and a couple of her friends decided that they wanted to go vegetarian and no soda for a month. We told Aubree that we would do more meatless meals, but we couldn't do 100%. She has, however given up soda completely. So, in my quest to find meatless meals that still have good protein, I've been looking at beans. We can get a couple different kinds here, and I also already had some in my pantry. The black beans and rice was a HUGE hit. I wanted a good red beans and rice recipe, and my amazing friend Mandy gave me hers! It is authentic Louisiana cuisine, and my boys weren't all that thrilled with it. It had too many vegetables, I didn't add the sausage, and it was soupier than what they were envisioning. Aubree and I loved it! The leftovers are being frozen into individual portions so we can eat them for lunch later on. I'm not freezing the rice with it, but it's really good by itself as a stew. If you would like to try out this incredible dish, just click here, or click on the blog on the sidebar that is titled "Simply Delectable Cooking". Let me know if you try anything out, and if you have a favorite family recipe, please send it to me! I would love to try it!!! Oh, and another awesome part of the food blog is the pictures included with each post! (Except the black beans and rice. My family ate it so fast, I didn't have time to get a picture!!!)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
My mom just told me the other day that you can freeze rice and it tastes the same. She always does double of what they need in the rice cooker and has some for next time. Freeze it in a ziplock baggie...2 cups rice takes 3-5 minutes to defrost/steam ready to eat. After 3 minutes take it out and squish it around in the bag to breakup/mix and return it for the rest of the time. More/less rice just adjust the cooking time!
That is good to know!!! I'm always i little bit scared to try new things, so it's great to hear when someone else does something that works!
I'll have to send you some of my friend's vegan recipes. I've tried a few of them and really enjoy them. It'll be interesting to see what you can find over there to cook with. Of course, does Aubree realize that times of cold is when you're supposed to be eating meat?
Post a Comment