Friday, August 20, 2010

Look what I bought today!!!

Ever since Mike started learning Macedonian, we heard how the produce is better in Macedonia.  The tomatoes are better, the fruit is fruitier, etc.  I have to tell you - I was skeptical, especially seeing the produce selection in the grocery store.  Plus, I'm not a tomato eater.  I have never liked the acidity, and usually end up with canker sores from them.  Well, we're in a new place, and we're trying new things, so I tried a tomato in a restaurant.  Oh. My. Goodness!!!  They were SO good!!!  I went to the green market today with a friend, and wished I had taken my camera.  You should see the size and beautiful color on the tomatoes here!  All the produce that is in season right now is big, and gorgeous, and fragrant, and smells SO good - and that's before we even tasted it!  The prices were incredible, and all marked, and if we didn't know the final price, the vendor would dig out his money and show us how much we owed.  Everyone was very friendly and patient with us, and more that willing to let us sample their wares.  There were things that I wanted to buy, but knowing I would be the only one to eat it, passed.  Melanie got a bunch of peppers for free, and I might try to steal one from her.  I came home and we had fresh fruit with our lunch.  The peaches are perfect and juicy.  The carrots are sweet and crunchy.  Melanie told me the melon is kind of like a honeydew, but with extra honey.  I can hardly wait to try it!  This is definitely going to be a weekly excursion!
Fruit and Veggies for this week

2 comments:

Just US said...

Yum, yum yum! You are going to have to bring the produce to Cyprus when we meet :)

The Crazy Heads said...

Yummy!