Tuesday, August 17, 2010

We're home!!!

We are finally into our home, and we have internet!!!  Thanks to a lot of work by several different people, we also have hot water!  We got out here from our temporary house yesterday afternoon and started getting settled.  This included rearranging furniture in 3 bedrooms, unpacking and putting away the contents of 15 suitcases and bags, and trying to cool the house off after the hottest day of the year.  It was up over 100.  I'm still trying to get used to air conditioning units in only bedrooms and the dining room.  None in the kitchen or bathrooms or basement.  We realized at about 8:30 that there was no water in the upstairs, and only trickles from the faucets downstairs.  A repairman came and managed to get us a trickle upstairs, but that trickle didn't include hot.  So, after cold showers this morning for me and Mike, another repairman came and determined it was the water pump and the landlord's responsibility.  The landlord showed up to look at things, then his son came so we could communicate.  Later on an electrician came and made a temporary fix, but it's enough that we actually have water pressure that includes both hot and cold!  The permanent fix will be done tomorrow.  We all really like the house, and the kids like their bedrooms.  Hopefully we can get some a/c in the basement to make it livable.  I love not living out of suitcases any more!!!  Granted, we don't have our hangers yet, but clothes are on shelves or in drawers.  It's nice.  I'm already picturing in my mind how we'll hang pictures, and incorporate our stuff that is on it's way.  And I'm hoping that all my kitchen stuff will fit in my kitchen.  It might be a tight fit, but I have lots of storage downstairs if nothing else.
We have started exploring, but that's a whole other post.  Overall, I still really like being here.  I will be very happy once I get my own car, but it's nice to be able to get the lay of the land with someone else driving.  The taxi drivers are all very nice, and Mike's Macedonian is improving as he speaks with them.  When Mike isn't with us, Nick keeps the driver entertained as he talks incessantly in the backseat.  It's funny watching their reactions to him.  So far, they've all been amused.

5 comments:

Beadles said...

So glad you are keeping up with blogging since you aren't here anymore and it isn't as easy to talk on the phone I expect that you will be consistent. Today was Nathan's first day of full day school. I am not doing as well as I thought I would. It is just such a LONG day.

The Crazy Heads said...

Hooray! I am so happy for you guys. Hope it all continues to go well for you. Did you know that my sister-in-law, Laura was best friends with the Titus' back in New Hampshire. I think you know them. Small world.

LeesOnTheGo said...

Glad you're getting a chance to settle in! Hope it's a house you grow to feel is truly your home.

NKL

Just US said...

YEAH for no more living out of suitcases, hot water, having internet (more than on your Kindle), and starting to make it yours. Can totally picture Nick "helping" the drivers in the taxis! I can't wait to see pictures of how you get everything situated once your belongings arrive!

Aubry Wilkes said...

SO excited for you! What a grand adventure for your family!