Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Day 5 - Brighton Pier

We had SO much fun on Tuesday walking along the sea to get to the pier!  It was fun to just have time to wander and chat.  We visited the Brighton Fishing Museum, played on the fun old stuff, and ate fish and chips!  Well, I ate fish and chips.  The kids had hamburgers and chicken nuggets, and Buzz and Hannah had sausage and chips.  The fish was SO delicious!!!  Buzz and Hannah even tried it, and agreed that it was pretty good.  The kids also had fun figuring out the American/British names for the same things: fries/chips, chips/crisps, and cookies/biscuits.  They did it in a way that was more about observation than ridicule, so nobody around us seemed offended.  When we got to the pier, we got doughnuts!!!  It was cool, because we watched them being made from this snazzy little machine, then ate them while they were hot.  I let the kids each pick one ride.  Nick chose the haunted house ride.  I went with him.  He didn't totally enjoy it - I think he picked it because Chris is TOTALLY freaked about anything scary, and Nick was able to brag about how it wasn't scary at all afterwards.  It wasn't really that bad, but it was pitch black almost the whole time on the inside.  I held his hand to reassure him, and I think he appreciated it.  Aubree and Chris chose the Sizzler.  They were the only 2 on the ride, and as it spun, Chris was squishing Aubree.  They love trying to not let the force of the ride push them in the middle, but they're not strong enough to resist.  After we were finished with our rides, L'eah picked one that she wanted to go on.  It was a train, and she was the only one on.  It started and she was happy enough, but about halfway through the circuit, the music was just too loud and she started crying.  They quickly stopped it and got her off, then let her ride the carousel.  She's not big enough to ride a horse, but seemed to enjoy riding around with her mum on the bench.  It also helped that the music wasn't as loud.
That night, Aubree and I were able to attend the RS Birthday Dinner with Hannah.  We helped bury a time capsule, had dinner, and enjoyed talking with one of Hannah's friends that sat at our table with us.  Buzz was such a trooper for keeping the boys with him so much.
Sweet cousins!

Who is that?

Some weird lady keeps hopping into the picture!

Outside the fishing museum.

Flat Stanley checking out the fishing nets in the museum.

Me and Nick Bob halfway through the Haunted House!

Aubree and Chris on the Sizzler.

L'eah on the train ride.

It's starting to get too loud.

Ride's over!

MUCH better!!!

Aubree and Chris

Me and Nick

Aubree saves Chris!!!

1 comment:

Beadles said...

Wow, you look great. Have you been working out? I didn't know you became a lifeguard.

Glad you are having a great trip. I am sure it is wonderful being with family. Love all of the pictures.